HE SACRIFICED HIS LIFE TO GIVE US ETERNAL LIFE by Willie A. Alvarenga
- Thank God for Jesus Christ, His beloved Son! Thanks to Christ we now enjoy the hope of eternal life, that is, those who have obeyed the gospel.
- Some say there are approximately 170 references to the death of Christ in the NT.
- 3 Points to our lesson: 1. The nature of Christ’s death, 2. The purpose of His death, and 3. What our attitude should be in view of His death.
- Let us be doers of God’s Word as we study together (James 1:22; Luke 11:28).
THE NATURE OF CHRIST’S DEATH.
- It was a very painful death (humiliated, Mtt. 27:28; they spat on His face, Mtt. 26:67; Beat and struck Him, Mtt. 26:67; 27:30; crucified Him (Mtt. 27:31).
- It was a death according to the determined counsel and foreknowledge of God (Acts 2:22-23; 1 Pet 1:18-20).
THE PURPOSE OF CHRIST’S DEATH.
- To fulfill OT prophecies (Gen 3:15; Psalm 22; Isaiah 53).
- To save men from their sins (Matt 20:28; John 1:29; 1 John 2:2; Eph. 1:7).
- To show God’s love to the world (John 3:16; Romans 5:8).
- To reconcile men back to God (Ephesians 2:13-16).
- To provide an example of the kind of love we should have towards one another (1 John 3:16).
- To provide men the opportunity to enjoy eternal life with God in heaven (John 11:25-26; 1 John 5:11; John 14:6).
OUR ATTITUDE TOWARDS CHRIST’S SACRIFICE ON THE CROSS.
- His death should motivate us to love God more (Mark 12:30).
- His death should encourage us to work fervently in His kingdom (Phil 1:21).
- His death should encourage us to live a holy life in Christ (1 Peter 1:13-16).
- His death should encourage us to share the great news of salvation (Mark 16:15-16; Matthew 28:18-20).
- Eternal life is in Jesus Christ (1 John 5:11).
- To be in Christ, men should obey the Gospel of Christ, be baptized into Christ (Gal 3:27; Romans 6:3-4).
- Plan of salvation according to the New Testament.